As a member of the Engineering Department, the Director Technical is responsible for maintenance and operation of all technical equipment onboard the Company's fleet of vessels as assigned. Provide technical support to the shore-based Engineering Team, supporting deck and engine purchasing activities and be responsible for the relevant part of the assigned vessel's budget. Will serve as a Deputy to VP Fleet Operations and take on the responsibility during his absence.
The employee is expected to perform each essential duty to a high standard as expected by the Company.
· Plans and schedules maintenance, engineering work, drydockings and wet dockings for the ships they are assigned.
· Assist VP Fleet Operations to streamline drydock planning, shipyard bids, development of drydock processes, drydock cost review including historical and present, etc.
· Participate in the planning and scheduling of refurbishments in cooperation with VP Fleet Operations, and/or Director of Shipboard Services. Lead and direct same for Ship Superintendents as assigned.
· Maintains and reviews shipboard reports from Chief Engineers to the office, including Equipment Status Reports, Preventative Maintenance Program Reports (NS-5), Survey Reports, Certificates, Drawings, Instruction Manuals, Vital Spare Parts List, Incident Reports, RAMPS and ensure these and all other Technical documentation are up to date and kept in good order.
· Must be familiar with and carries out ISM and Company's SMS responsibilities.
· Supports the ships to comply with Class, Flag State, SOLAS, USCG and Company's SMS requirements. Any concerns must be relayed immediately to VP Fleet Operations.
· Ensure safe and optimal technical maintenance/operations as well as economical operation of the ships including responsibility for the management of the budget.
· Analyzes and tracks each vessel's scheduled lube oil sample reports and communicates the findings back to each ship and VP Fleet Operations in a timely manner.
· Visit ships having specific problems, direct and assist shipboard management with problem solving.
· Review periodically and as needed with VP Fleet Operations and VP Marine Operations that deck and engine manning is adequate and up to standards.
· Conducts ship checks and develops specifications for dry-docking and repair periods.
· Ensure drydock and Ship Superintendents' Vessel Inspection reports are completed in a timely manner.
· For all electrical, audio and video matters to direct and work closely with Electrical Superintendent.
· Review technical drawings, specifications, technical proposals, etc related to newbuilding projects.
· Support VP Fleet Operations in the participation of newbuild meetings and periodical inspection during construction period.
· Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
· Purchases and tracks all vital deck and engine spare parts, providing backup, assistance and technical guidance to the Technical Purchasing Managers.
· Must review and approve all requisitions and purchase orders from deck and engine shipboard for the ship they are assigned.
Education / Experience
Degree in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture or Chief Engineer License with experience on passenger vessels or equivalent. Degree in Mechanical Engineering or non-degree technical certification may be considered on a case to case basis depending on previous experience.